[OpenBIOS] patch to allow Mac OS 9 to boot

Programmingkid programmingkidx at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 22:43:44 CET 2016

Here is another reason why I think the CR-LF patch should be applied:

This is the output of Fedora without the CR-LF patch:
*note: used the -nographic option to see the text

0 > boot cd:,\\:tbxi
: $CM $call-method ;w then ;0= ;de-int nip nip ;
INTERPRETE: ---  " /chosen" find-package if dup " memory" rot GPP$ if D2NIP swapvalue mmu# value mem# NIP else 0 then else 0 0 then else 0 0 then
INTERPRETE: --- : ^mem mem# $CM ; : ^mmu mmu# $CM ;
INTERPRETE: --- " _screen-ihandle" $find if execute else 0 then
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf

Config file read, 244 bytes
INTERPRETE: --- 0 to background-color

INTERPRETE: --- f to foreground-color

Welcome to the 32-bit Fedora 17 installer!
Hit <TAB> for boot options.

Without the patch it still prints a lot of unrelated errors. The "INTERPRETE" text is from ciface.fs with  the debugging code uncommented.

The output with the patch is mostly unchanged. The ^mem and ^mmu messages look harmless. The only addition is the -13 exception. According to a comment in the interpret word, this exception might not be an error.

0 > boot cd:,\\:tbxi
: $CM $call-method ;w then ;0= ;de-int nip nip ;
INTERPRETE: ---  " /chosen" find-package if dup " memory" rot GPP$ if D2NIP swapvalue mmu# value mem# NIP else 0 then else 0 0 then else 0 0 then
milliseconds:interpret: exception -13 caught
>> interpret  " /chosen" find-package if dup " memory" rot GPP$ if D2NIP swap " value mmu# value mem#  failed with error ffffffedelse 0 0 then
INTERPRETE: --- : ^mem mem# $CM ; : ^mmu mmu# $CM ;
^mem isn't unique.
^mmu isn't unique.
INTERPRETE: --- " _screen-ihandle" $find if execute else 0 then
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf
call-method color!: exception -21
>> call-method color! failed with error ffffffdf

Config file read, 244 bytes
INTERPRETE: --- 0 to background-color

INTERPRETE: --- f to foreground-color

Welcome to the 32-bit Fedora 17 installer!
Hit <TAB> for boot options.

Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.17 (Red Hat 1.3.17-2.fc16)
Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
boot:

With and without the patch Fedora makes it to the same place.