[OpenBIOS] [Report] AmigaOS 4.0 for Mac Mini

BALATON Zoltan balaton at eik.bme.hu
Thu Aug 4 22:21:22 CEST 2016

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> Uploaded to MEGA folder.
> On 04/08/16 20:24, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>> On 04/08/16 15:26, Natalia Portillo wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've been asked by Mark to report my testings here.
>>>

>>> Tested with qemu-for-ppc-2.8 commit
>>> 8b0262d0bcb7c697f2db8d6cd731cb478937902a.
>>>
>>> Command line:
>>> qemu-system-ppc -M mac99 -m 256 -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -bios
>>> foo/openbios-qemu-vga.elf -boot d -prom-env 'auto-boot?=false' -hda
>>> foo.qc2 -cdrom AmigaOS\ 4.0\ \(Hacked\ for\ Mac\ Mini\).iso -nographic
>>>
>>> Output:
>>> Welcome to OpenBIOS v1.1 built on Jul 31 2016 05:52
>>>
>>> 0 > boot cd:,\slb_v2 >> switching to new context:

According to this forum thread:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-33796.html
you may need to manually set boota-device to your boot device before
trying to boot it.

But AFAIK this iso was an abandoned hack that is only supposed to sort of
work on a specific Mac mini (1.5GHz G4 with 64MB Radeon Video) so not
likely to do anything remotely usable on current QEMU so I would not spend
too much time with it. Even on the mini it was made for it had no network,
USB and other problems were mentioned in posts I've seen so I'd expect it
to be problematic.

Also the MorphOS has some problems. It can be booted but it has no drivers
for any QEMU emulated graphics (or vice versa) so you won't see anything
even when it boots. Also versions above 3.7 has bugs that will prevent it
from booting and even when it does boot it's very slow. I'll give that
another try when new MorphOS and QEMU versions will be available to see if
anything has improved.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan