[OpenBIOS] Current finding on booting Mac OS 9.2

Programmingkid programmingkidx at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 16:00:22 CEST 2016

On Apr 22, 2016, at 12:17 AM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 03:39:47PM -0400, Programmingkid wrote:
>>> No, the solution is to make R> work in interpret mode.  Properly.
>>
>> Wouldn't we be better off avoiding using R> and >R?
>
> If you don't want to run the OS9 bootscript, then don't run
> the OS9 bootscript.

I do wish to run Mac OS 9. We can still run it and avoid
the return stack.

>> I did try your version of r> and >r. The end result was pretty
>> much the same as my patch. The "Dictionary Space overflow"
>> error message is still printed.
>
> There are many problems, you'll need to solve all to have things
> work.
>
>>> And you'll need structure words to work as well.  Piling workarounds
>>> on top of workarounds won't get you far.
>>
>> I remember your list of words that you thought had problems:
>>
>> AHEAD IF THEN  BEGIN AGAIN UNTIL  CASE ENDCASE  DO ?DO LOOP +LOOP
>>
>> What makes you so sure it is these words that are the problem?
>
> Because they are implemented incorrectly.  They use the data space.

Data space? What's that?

> Try
>
> 2a IF CREATE uh-oh THEN
>
> or
>
> 10 0 DO i , LOOP
>
> and watch the sparks.

Did. On OpenBIOS the first one just says "uh-oh: undefined word.".
On Apple's Open Firmware it says "uh-oh, unknown word".

For the second example, OpenBIOS will say compiled and keep saying compiled until the semicolon is typed. The loop does not run. On Apple's Open Firmware, it just says "ok" and does nothing also. I think you should test your ideas before stating them.