[OpenBIOS] Implementing a second return stack

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Apr 17 04:19:05 CEST 2016

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 10:11:36PM -0400, Programmingkid wrote:
> Mac OS 9 does alter the return stack in OpenBIOS. This is perceived to be unacceptable. The solution to this issue has been stated as implementing a second return stack. This stack would just be an array that implements push and pull calls.
>
> In the bootinfo_load.c file, in the bootinfo_init_program() function is where the Mac OS 9 boot script is read into memory, into the bootscript variable. What I want to do is replace all >r and r> calls in the bootscript buffer with other words. Something like substitute>r and substitute_r>. These words would use a separate array to push and pop data from. I think this would work because Mac OS 9's boot script only uses the return stack for data storage. Does this sound like the right thing to do?

[ Please wrap your lines, this is unreadable.  Thanks. ]

No; just implement a version of >R etc. that work in interpret mode.  Like

: >r  state @ IF postpone >r EXIT THEN
      ( and here, do the push to the simulated R stack ) ; IMMEDIATE

(And easier/cleaner/nicer if your system has separate compile and interpret
behaviours for all words, or a separate compiler wordlist).

Segher