[OpenBIOS] Where Mac OS 9.2 stops booting

Tarl Neustaedter tarl-b2 at tarl.net
Sat Apr 16 19:35:15 CEST 2016

On 2016-Apr-16 12:48 , Programmingkid wrote:
> I wanted to share what I found out. If I remove the '\r' to '\n' patch that allows Mac OS 9 to boot, the boot script will stop executing at a r> word. This is the position:
>
> <BOOT-SCRIPT>
> here >r
> dev /
> cr ." Checkpoint 1" cr " model" active-package get-package-property abort" can't find MODEL"
> [...]
>

> r>		<---------------  This is where execution stops
>

> [...]
> This boot script was taken from the Mac OS 9 file "Mac OS ROM".
>
> Does anyone have any idea why removing '\r' characters from the script makes it work?

I'm baffled. There are two other lines above which are end-of-line
sensitive, using the "dev" word:

    dev ( "device-specifier<eol>" -- ) Make the specified device node
    the active package.

    Parse device-specifier delimited by end of line. Perform the
    equivalent of find-device with device-specifier as its argument.

    Used as: ok dev device-specifier <eol>

You could try replacing the two lines with the equivalent find-device
operations:

    " /" find-device
    " /openprom" find-device

which aren't end-of-line sensitive, but if that were the problem, we
wouldn't be seeing the checkpoint 1 message.

Usually when something blows up on a r>, that means the return stack has
been clobbered - and I don't see anything there that looks like it would
clobber it based on an eol.
Microsoft Word - 1275.DOC