[OpenBIOS] [morphos] MorphOS on QEMU

BALATON Zoltan balaton at eik.bme.hu
Fri Mar 7 21:11:16 CET 2014

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Yes, this definitely looks better. In terms of the memory size, does MorphOS
> have a minimum memory requirement of 256MB? Otherwise, are you using the

I don't know if there's a minimum requirement. If so it at least appears
to be not documented or this only happens on QEMU.

> debug binary openbios-qemu.elf.nostrip rather than the stripped version? The
> reason for asking is that arch/ppc/qemu/ofmem.c declares OF_CODE_SIZE as
> 0x00100000 (1MB) whilst the debug file is ~1.4MB on my system here.
>
> Does either increasing this to 2MB or swapping to use the stripped
> openbios-qemu.elf binary at 128MB help at all?

I'm using the stripped version which is 734040 bytes and it did not work
with 128MB as I described but I think this is not related to openbios
settings but to how MorphOS decides its memory layout. I hope someone can
confirm this and explain why is it happening. Until then using at least
256MB memory is a good enough workaround for me.

I'm currently stuck at the place I've described yesterday which is very
near the end of the initialisation of the Quark kernel but I don't know
why is it failing. I hope to get some help with this because it is rather
difficult to tell without source and knowledge about how Quark works.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan