[OpenBIOS] next-property

Olivier Danet odanet at caramail.com
Fri Jan 3 21:33:31 CET 2014

On 03/01/2014 21:01, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> On 03/01/14 19:16, Olivier Danet wrote:
>
> Hi Olivier,
>
>> You are right.
>> I tried on an Ultra 10 with OpenBoot 3.12.
>>
>> next-property returns nothing when the property is unknown and also when
>> the property is the last one.
>> This contradicts Sun own documentation "Writing FCode 3.x Programs".
>
> Hmmmm. Is there anything in the IEEE1275 errata about this?
>
>> Puzzled, I tried then on a Apple iBook G3 :
>> dev screen
>> " <something>" active-package next-property
>>
>> This laptop returns :
>> - true and a forth string when the property is not the last one
>> - true and "0 0" when the property is the last one
>> - false when the property does not exist.
>>
>> Anyway, whatever method is chosen (return nothing, return zero...),
>> OpenBIOS forth and/or C code ("opb_nextprop()") should be modifed to
>> avoid page faults.
>
> Yes indeed. The OpenBIOS Forth string to C string implementation
> returns NULL if the length is 0 which has caught me out a few times.
> The trick I've done, particularly in the filesystem drivers, is to do
> something like the following where required:
>
> if (str == NULL) {
>     return "";
> }
>
> BTW you never answered about which version of NetBSD you were trying
> to boot?
>

> ATB,
>
> Mark.
I am using the latest, 6.1.2, installed from the full ISO image.
They changed quite a bit the video part in NetBSD 6, overhauled
the console and seem to have forked the TCX X11 driver to add hardware
acceleration.

I managed yesterday to boot NetBSD and run X in 256 colours mode !

Changes so far :

OpenBIOS :
- The "next-property" stuff. Called when starting the X server.
- "keyboard" property detail. Else keyboard input does not work.
- TCX properties modifications. For TCX/Dumb framebuffer selection.

QEMU :
- Old bug "!TC on DATA XFER" in esp.c driver
- TCX hardware acceleration stuff in tcx.c and sun4m.c (for memory regions):
   blitter, stippler, hardware cursor.

Olivier