[OpenBIOS] Booting SunOS from OpenBIOS

Tarl Neustaedter tarl-b2 at tarl.net
Wed Mar 27 21:11:06 CET 2013

On 2013-Mar-27 13:52 , Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
>> My guess would be that the sun4/1xx and sun4/2xx were not openboot,
>> while the sparcstation and sparcserver models probable all are.
>> So probably sun4c and sun4m were the first with openboot then. Sure is
>> hard to find good details on these old things.
>
> I've got a running SPARCstation IPC (sun4c?) here, and at the command
> level it appears to be a hybrid between OpenPROM and something older.
> I'd need to go back through my notes but I think there were some odd
> limitations.
>
> I think the sun4m (SPARCstation 10, 20 etc.) were all OpenPROM, and
> the sun4d (SPARCserver and probably SPARCcenter/CS6400) definitely are.

The original sources for Openboot started in 1985, and it looks like
they got formalized into SCCS source bases in 1988. The sparcstation 1
was first sold in 1989, so almost certainly had Openboot on it. Someone
local believes that Openboot was the defining characteristic of the
"sun4c" architecture, and that the previous architecture (sun4) did not
have it.

I arrived at Sun during the sun4m architecture, which definitely had it.

Ah... I see an interview with Mitch Bradley (original author of
Openboot) saying Openboot explicitly started with Sparcstation one:

http://howsoftwareisbuilt.com/2008/03/27/interview-with-mitch-bradley-firmware-olpc/