[OpenBIOS] [Qemu-ppc] [Qemu-devel] Mac OS X on QEMU

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Jul 10 21:34:16 CEST 2013

On 07/09/2013 10:36:37 PM, Programmingkid wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2013, at 1:32 PM, Scott Wood wrote:

> Mac OS X run in QEMU. A lot of people are to thank for this
> milestone. To everyone involved, thank you.

> command key issue. This key is a very important on the Macintosh. It
> is used to send keyboard shortcuts to applications.

> "Map Command key to ALT". This would allow a user to be able to send
> Macintosh applications command key shortcuts from both a PC and Mac
> keyboard.

> touch non-PPC code in QEMU, so this needs to go to qemu-devel.

> running in QEMU.

> non-Apple
> >> I was thinking about the Windows key. It would be the perfect
> substitute - if it was available on all keyboards.

> be
> really

> >> Maybe there should be two menu items:
> >> "Map command key to ALT" and "Map command key to Windows key".
> >> They would be mutually exclusive of course.
> >
> > Isn't the Windows key already the same thing as the Command key, in
> terms of the actual keycode generated?
>
> I don't think so. The command key is equal to 0x37. The windows key
> is equal to 0x5B. This is my source:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd375731(v=vs.85).aspx

That says 0x37 is the 7 key.  The word "command" does not appear.

It also looks like that table for something that Windows produces, not
the raw output of the keyboard.

> > And you'd still want to have an actual ALT key available...  The
> option should just be whether to swap the Command/Windows and ALT
> keys for better ergonomics.
>
> That might not be true. The user might not mind giving up the alt or
> control keys. The options and control key are not used very much on
> Mac OS X.

I assume you mean "The alt and control key are not used very much...".

Maybe the user doesn't mind -- but maybe they do mind and would rather
swap the two than end up with both ALT and the OS key being Command.
When I used MacOS X I use control and alt quite a bit, in console and
X11 apps.

> I also want to state that I decided against the adding menu items
> idea. Instead I am currently planning to use a command line option.
> You just pass the key value you want to use to act as the command
> key. Here's an example:
>
> qemu-system-ppc -command-key 0x37.
>
> The user could pick one of the functions keys as the command key if
> desired.

If you're going to get into remapping keys, wouldn't it be better to
have a generalized mechanism so the user could do whatever remaps they
want?  Other targets may have their own special keys.

-Scott