[OpenBIOS] Secure BIOS for voting?

SAVIOCvs at aol.com SAVIOCvs at aol.com
Fri Jul 19 14:01:22 CEST 2013

I developed a voting system (see _www.SAVIOC.com_ (http://www.SAVIOC.com) )
that uses ordinary old PCs,  yet is more transparent and trustworthy than
anything else in use  today.  All software, including the operating system
(FreeDOS) boots from a  floppy that can be verified by hash code.  The PC
never uses the hard  drive, and doesn't even need one.  Trustworthiness comes
from people  with different interests being able to prevent each other from
doing anything  fraudulent.  I think the only significant potential
vulnerability is that  someone with physical access to the machines could install a
malicious  BIOS.  Learning about the OpenBIOS project gave me hope of
overcoming that  vulnerability.

(1)  Is my hope justified?  Can a PC be booted from a floppy that
completely replaces the native BIOS in RAM, and then loads FreeDOS?  (Can  the
possibility of a malicious BIOS be made a non-issue?)

If all answers are YES, then the remaining very basic questions become
important.

(2)  Roughly how much space on the floppy would be required?
(3)  What downloads would I need?  OpenBIOS AND OpenFirmware AND  OpenBOOT?
 Anything else?
(4)  How are they downloaded?
http://www.openfirmware.info/index.php/Downloads displays  a page
beginning, "This page has been deleted."  All other links that imply  the possibility
of downloading reach a page headlined, "The  page cannot be displayed".

Chuck Gaston