[OpenBIOS] testing Max OS X boot on latest trunk (revision 1085) + divide by zero patch

Andreas Tobler andreast at fgznet.ch
Sun Jan 13 17:25:57 CET 2013

On 13.01.13 16:43, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> On 12/01/13 16:05, Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:
>
>> I used the latest proposed divide by zero patch
>>
>> So it seems like it is almost there.
>>
>> Seems like it still can't load kernel when run with boot cd:,\\:tbxi
>> Mac OS X 10.0
>> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-155737_1366x768_scrot.png
>>
>> Mac OS X 10.2
>> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-155642_1366x768_scrot.png
>>
>> Mac OS X 10.4
>> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-155935_1366x768_scrot.png
>>

>> However when I specify partition to use it loads:
>> Mac OS X 10.0 (boot cd:9,\\:tbxi)
>> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-163133_1366x768_scrot.png
>>
>> Mac OS X 10.2 (boot cd:9,\\:tbxi)
>> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-163300_1366x768_scrot.png
>>
>> Mac OS X 10.4 (boot cd:3,\\:tbxi)
>> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-163419_1366x768_scrot.png
>
> This should now be fixed in SVN trunk.
>
> I believe I have now committed all outstanding patches based upon
> William's main GSOC patchset, and performed a QEMU CDROM boot test
> across all of SPARC32, SPARC64 and PPC to confirm that I haven't
> introduced any regressions across any of my test images. Thank you
> everyone for your help, patience and testing.
>
> Interestingly enough, commits 1081 and 1082 appear to have fixed the key
> issues with OpenBIOS's PPC MMU code and as a result, the following
> kernels will now at least boot from ISO images in QEMU:
>
> Darwin
> FreeBSD
> NetBSD
> HelenOS
> Fedora Linux
> SuSE Linux
>
> I think the remainder of the bugs during kernel initialisation are
> related to either missing/erroneous properties in the OpenBIOS device
> tree, or bugs in QEMU's device emulation/Mac hardware model. This will
> likely require some assistance from the QEMU people to fix.

I can confirm the statement from Mark regarding FreeBSD. So far I can
boot but I fail due to the fact that some interrupt-parents are not
populated. Namely for via-cuda and for ata-1/2/3. Adding these lets the
boot continue until I hang somewhere in a cpu_idle routine. Still
investigating.

One thing the qemu people might clarify, is -M mac99 ok to use? Or what
would be the preferred Mac model and which cpu?
My trials go with mac99 and -cpu G4 on the 32-bit qemu.

I think once I solved the spinning in the cpu_idle routine I'm near
completing the boot.

Thank you all for this effort!

Andreas