[OpenBIOS] patches

Programmingkid programmingkidx at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 17:19:30 CET 2013

On Jan 7, 2013, at 10:22 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

> On 07/01/13 15:14, Programmingkid wrote:
>
>>> Was there any patch in particular you are concerned with? To the best of my knowledge, all of the patches except the OFMEM virtual-physical mapping fix have been out for review in a similar form for a while now.
>>>
>>> I've also spent a couple of days heavily testing them against my set of PPC ISO images, so I'm not expecting any serious regressions...
>>
>> I was hoping to review the get-key-map patch before it was submitted. Now that I have looked at it, it seems good enough.
>
> Oh I see - sorry I didn't mean to offend.
>
> My thinking was that because both yourself and Amadeusz are keen to work on OS X boot, I'd rather commit a skeleton function until such time as we can figure out the real mapping and/or why you version causes random hangs :/
>
> BTW with the RFC patchset I just posted to the list applied, all the outstanding issues from William's original patches should now be resolved! So please test away and report back... I can get Darwin kernel to boot now but it panics early :O

There is still one unresolved issue that William's patches fixed. When booting Mac OS X using this command: "boot cd:,\\:tbxi", it causes Bootx to go back and try to find the partition that it can open. This search fails. A way around this is to just specify the partition to open: "boot cd:9,\\:tbxi". William made two patches that handles this situation:

http://lists.openbios.org/pipermail/openbios/2011-August/006630.html
http://lists.openbios.org/pipermail/openbios/2011-August/006640.html

I don't think these patches can be applied now, but I do suggest we come up with a way to only open the APPLE_HFS and APPLE_HFSX partitions.

P.S. The recent patches to OpenBIOS have made my Mac OS 10.0 cd boot further than before. :)