[OpenBIOS] Qemu, OpenBIOS, and HostID

Tarl Neustaedter tarl-b2 at tarl.net
Sat Dec 28 06:26:55 CET 2013

On 2013-Dec-27, 18:53 , Nick Couchman wrote:
> Understood, but a virtual environment is a little bit different, since the only serial number is going to be some sort of UUID that is generated either at VM start time or is generated and then maintained in a config file.  MAC addresses can be customized for VMs, as well.  Clearly 80000000 isn't a valid hostid, so what should OpenBIOS and/or Qemu be doing, here?

I'd suggest that instead of h# 8000.0000, you should use h# 8012.3456 -
that's the value we use when debugging hardware which doesn't have the
idprom set up. Supposedly, nothing actually looks at the serial number
in the hostid, but it's that "supposedly" which worries me.

You might also check that the system mac address is getting set up
correctly. I know there are unexpected places that it gets used (certain
SCSI drivers, for example).