[OpenBIOS] Qemu, OpenBIOS, and HostID

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Fri Dec 27 22:16:07 CET 2013

>>> On 2013/12/27 at 12:42, Tarl Neustaedter <tarl-b2 at tarl.net> wrote:
> On 2013-Dec-27, 14:10 , Nick Couchman wrote:
>> First, thanks to everyone who has worked to get OpenBIOS up to its current
> functional level over the past couple of years.  I'm using Solaris 9 on
> OpenBIOS with pretty good success these days, which is awesome.
>>
>> I do have a question about Qemu, OpenBIOS, and the Solaris hostid.  It seems
> that, currently, when booting Solaris with Qemu, the host ID is set to
> "80000000."  As far as I can tell, this isn't near correct - according to all
> of the documentation I've read, the host ID should be calculated based on the
> machine type, and some portion of the MAC address.  This may be the wrong
> forum in which to ask this, but I'm wondering if someone could shed light on
> why it shows up that way, and if there's a way in OpenBIOS via the PROM/NVRAM
> data to set the host ID to something a little bit closer to normal?
>
> The HOSTID used to have embedded knowledge about the system type and
> other details. As of (I recall) Sun4u, the hostid is 0x8000.0000 plus a
> serial number. Openbios should pick a number other than "0" for the
> serial number :-)

Okay, is that something that can be changed via a prom (setenv) command?  If not, is that something that could/should be added to OpenBIOS, or would that violate the spirit of getting OpenBIOS as close to OBP?

--------
This e-mail may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Confidential and Proprietary Information.  If this message is not intended for you, you are strictly prohibited from using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please delete the message from your mailbox.  This e-mail may contain export-controlled material and should be handled accordingly.