[OpenBIOS] Decoding Solaris/SunOS disk identifiers?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Mon Aug 5 19:25:01 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I'm working on fixing up a regression on SPARC32 and I'm trying to
understand the format of the SunOS disk identifiers in the form of
sd(w,x,y):z in order to correct missing fields for romvec.

The comments in OpenBIOS suggest the following:

/* Generate the "oldpath"
    FIXME: hardcoding this looks almost definitely wrong.
    With sd(0,2,0):b we get to see the solaris kernel though */

and

/* Controller currently always 0 */

Am I right to assume the following mappings given a disk identifier in
the form of sd(w,x,y):z:

w = controller = always 0 (or maybe my-unit phys.lo?)
x = unit (equivalent of my-unit phys.hi)
y = LUN (equivalent of my-address)
z = partition identifier (equivalent of my-args)

Any pointers gratefully received :)

Many thanks,