[OpenBIOS] Assertion of an OP on the fedora users list

Tarl Neustaedter tarl-b2 at tarl.net
Thu Sep 20 21:10:09 CEST 2012

On 2012-Sep-20 15:05 , JD wrote:

> So if the initialization code is not publicly available, but is
> made available to Bios makers, could or would the devs
> of openbios.org contact AMD and Intel, sign NDA's and implement
> the initialization code in openbios?
> Or is there more to it than that?

As I understand, it's mostly a matter of effort. The initialization
sequences are a mixture of stuff the chip vendors expected, the BIOS
vendors understood, and a good chunk of stuff found out live once the
first chips come off the testers. There's a lot of back-and-forth which
never gets fully documented anywhere. There may be empiric limitations
on what actually can be done during initialization which wasn't
originally part of the specification, but the BIOS implementations end
up using because it works.