[OpenBIOS] About HFS+ support

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Oct 13 07:37:51 CEST 2012

> Do any of them have a system partition on? The reason I ask is that
> because on some of the debug traces you've sent me, a filesystem
> has been identified on the Apple_Driver43_CD partition. Therefore
> there must be some other logic involved with Apple's Open Firmware
> in order for it to locate the partition containing the installer.

On a Mac-partitioned disk, there is no such thing as a "system
partition" (that is a DOS thing).

Apple OF looks at the partition types (which are strings), and
uses the first one that is "Apple_Boot", "Apple_HFS", or "DOS_FAT_",
if you do not give a partition number (or partition # 0).

FWIW, it normally boots "hd:,\\:tbxi" which means the disk with
alias "hd", potentially some partition on that, in the blessed
folder ("\\"), the file with any creator and file type "tbxi"
(which is a bootinfo file) (":tbxi").

I don't think you want to recreate all the logic (and lack of it!)
behind how Macs boot.

Segher