[OpenBIOS] Solaris 8 on Sparc32 - Broken by 1056 changes

P. Wilhelm bearcat.pilot at gmail.com
Tue May 15 02:14:30 CEST 2012

This past Friday I tried the 1056 version of sparc32 OpenBIOS and found
that Solaris 8 hangs during the OS initialization (during the second
period when the spinning line (-, \, |, /, -) occurs).

The last version of OpenBIOS I had been using was 1047 which seemed to
work Ok. So, I incrementally checked versions 1048-1056. The boot works
on all but 1056, so it looks like something with the memory changes in
1055 broke the Solaris 8 boot.

I am booting from a virtual hard disk upon which I had previously
installed Solaris 8 using Qemu (installed from Solaris 8 install CDs).

Let me know if you need any specific information about Qemu arguments.

Respectfully,
Paul