[OpenBIOS] sun4u interrupt-map

Artyom Tarasenko atar4qemu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 22:15:31 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Blue Swirl <blauwirbel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 17:59, Tarl Neustaedter <tarl-b2 at tarl.net> wrote:
>> On 2012-Apr-4 13:30 , Artyom Tarasenko wrote:
>>>
>>> Could it be that OpenBIOS is missing interrupt-map and
>>> interrupt-map-mask properties for the PCI bus?
>>>
>>> On a real Ultra-5 it looks like this:
>>> interrupt-map            0000003c 00000000 00000000 f005fa24 80000033
>>> interrupt-map-mask       0000003e 00000000 00000000
>>>
>>> What is mapped to what?
>>>
>>> I couldn't find any documentation how these properties work, except
>>> for Linux and OpenSolaris sources. Thought I ask here before trying to
>>> reconstruct the picture from them.
>>

>> These are documented at least as far back as the Safari binding, in section
>> 5.2.1.4 (assuming that spec got published). They are used to route
>> interrupts differently than the data interconnects for devices -
>> specifically, when hardware has taken the interrupt pins from a device and
>> brought them in to the CPU through a path which bypasses all the intervening
>> bridges. The specification for interrupt-map is:
>>
>> child.hi child.mid child.lo child.intrspec intr-parent.phandle
>> intr-parent.intrspec
>>
>> Basically, it defines the child, the child's interrupt then points to the
>> parent where the interrupt appears and what interrupt it appears as. In the
>> above Ultra-5 spec, it looks like the first three cells are defining the
>> child (3c?), and the interrupt from that child (presumably zero), saying
>> that this interrupt appears under node f005fa24 as interrupt 33.

So, basically, without these properties, software would have no way to
tell what CPU interrupt is pulled when the device irq becomes active,
right?

>> The interrupt-map-mask is simply a mask applied to the child information
>> it's defined as
>>
>> child.hi child.mid child.lo child.intrspec
>>
>> Evidently on the Ultra-5, we aren't using three cells to identify the child,
>> only two. So we probably skip child.mid in both of the above specifications.
>
> Nice explanation. I read the Open Firmware draft interrupt mapping
> document (http://www.openfirmware.org/1275/practice/imap/imap0_9d.pdf),
> but I was more confused after reading it than before.

Hm. Since it's a part of a standard specification, the other machines
(i.e. PPC) might need these properties as well?

Artyom

--
Regards,
Artyom Tarasenko