[OpenBIOS] Getting Closer With Booting AIX? I Would Like to Help Please.

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri May 27 11:38:12 CEST 2011

On 24/05/11 15:02, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Ah okay - I just realised we also need to remove the is_free() check for
> the physical region as we are now allocating it ourselves, and plus we
> now need to set phys. Note that I am currently not able to compile-test
> until tomorrow so you may need to tweak it a little further in order to
> get it to work.
>
> This is not ready for commit yet, but the following should hopefully
> work better:

(cut)

[CC to Andreas]

Okay - something strange is happening here. I tried the attached patch
in order to use the standard physical memory range allocator (top down,
instead of forcing phys = virt) , but this causes my test Fedora Core 12
PPC32 ISO image to hang just after "returning from prom_init".

Andreas - can you take a look at this and see if I'm doing something
obviously wrong in PPC land? I can't understand why changing the
underlying physical addresses causes the PPC kernel boot to fail when
the same phys -> virt mappings are still in place.

I'm fairly sure this is the right fix and the patch shows no regressions
under SPARC32/SPARC64...