[OpenBIOS] need help building sparc32 crosstool

Blue Swirl blauwirbel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 23:37:07 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Robert Reif <reif at earthlink.net> wrote:
> It's been a few years since I did any qemu and openbios hacking
> and I want to give it another try.  I'm using ubuntu 10.10 on a PC
> but my last development work was on redhat 9 so things have changed.
>
> I need to start from scratch so could I get some advice on what
> compiler and glibc version everyone is using.  I remember getting
> a working crosstool took some effort but I don't remember what I did.
>
> I assume people are still using crosstool-0.43? It that still true?
> What about crosstool-ng?  Something else?

I didn't use anything special. OpenBIOS does not need glibc or kernel
headers, so that makes things a bit simpler.

$ sparc-elf-ld -V
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.18
  Supported emulations:
   elf32_sparc
   elf64_sparc
$ sparc-elf-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=sparc-elf-gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/local/libexec/gcc/sparc-elf/4.6.0/lto-wrapper
Target: sparc-elf
Configured with: ../configure --target=sparc-elf
--enable-targets=sparc-elf --disable-nls --disable-threads
--enable-languages=c --disable-shared --disable-libssp
--disable-multilib
Thread model: single
gcc version 4.6.0 20100925 (experimental) (GCC)
$ sparc-elf-gdb -v
GNU gdb 6.8
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --target=sparc-elf".