[OpenBIOS] OpenBIOS PowerPC missing open firmware commands

Andreas Färber andreas.faerber at web.de
Tue Jul 19 22:56:50 CEST 2011

Hi Alex,

Am 19.07.2011 um 16:12 schrieb Alexander von Gluck:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:39:00 -0500, Alexander von Gluck wrote:
>> Just a few things I noticed while hacking away at Haiku on PowerPC:
>>
>> The following OpenFirmware commands aren't implemented:
>>
>> erase-screen
>> toggle-cursor
>
> It does seem like these are implemented after looking at the sources.
> However we receive the following error when they are used:
>
> undefined defer word toggle-cursor
> undefined defer word erase-screen

I didn't get those when I last tried, it just hung. Where do you see
these errors?
Please share details on what versions and command line you use. Thanks!

> Here is the example usage:
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/system/boot/platform/openfirmware/console.cpp#L214
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/system/boot/platform/openfirmware/console.cpp#L241
>
> (this all works 100% on real hardware)
>

>> The following paths are missing essential information:
>>
>> cpu node -> clock-frequency
>> cpu node -> timebase-frequency
>> cpu node -> bus-frequency
>>

>> Example:
>>
>> cd /
>> cd cpus
>> cd PowerPC,750 at 0
>> .properties
>
> I was a little off in this, the only one *really* missing is the bus-
> frequency.
> We can work around the 0 values.
>
> I threw together a patch at the url below to make OpenBIOS a little
> more
> OpenFirmware like under qemu:
>
> http://pastebin.com/CkdeEFWL
>
> I'm not sure on how to use the fw_cfg_* portions so I just set it to
> 0 for the
> moment.

Without having looked at the URL yet (please prefer posting here for
offline-reading), the general idea is that QEMU supplies information
and it is read in the BIOS via fw_cfg.

Andreas