[OpenBIOS] openfirmware boot partition layout

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 15:53:52 CET 2011

On 16/02/11 13:23, Dinar Valeev wrote:

>> Okay - first question to ask is this: which version of KVM and which SVN
>> revision of OpenBIOS are you using? There has a been a lot of work in this
>> area last year for example.
>
> I'm using kvm with 2.6.38-rc3-67365-g7a67422 kernel
>
> mine qemu version is:
> QEMU emulator version 0.14.50, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard
>
> I believe this is most recent version.

Ooooh okay but since you're using ppc64, you're going to have to build
from SVN trunk - the changes are that recent! BTW I thought the latest
qemu/kvm version was 0.13.x, i.e. 0.14.x is still currently at RC stage
at least in qemu world.

>> Note that you can get more debugging output from OpenBIOS if you load up KVM
>> with a couple of extra options on the command line: -nographic
>> -prom-env='auto-boot?=false'. This will enable you to see the debug output,
>> and also drops you to the Forth command prompt rather than trying to boot
>> the device automatically.
>>
>> You can then try manually booting a PPC partition, e.g.
>>
>> boot cdrom:1
>> boot disk:2
>> boot
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> Or even browse some of the filesystem contents to see if the FS is
>> recognised:
>>
>> dir cdrom:1\
>> dir disk:2\
>
> My qemu command is:
> ./ppc64-softmmu/qemu-system-ppc64 -enable-kvm -drive
> file=/root/k0daz_ppc_lvm_appliance.ppc64-1.0.1.raw -cpu power4
> -nographic -prom-env 'auto-boot?=false'
>
> Once I'm in OF prompt I've tried to invoke:
> 0>  dir disk:1\ pc-parts: Unable to determine filesystem
>   ok

So that's easy - OpenBIOS can't work out what the filesystem on the
partition is.

> If I'm trying to boot VM with one you proposed. VM just hangs.

Andreas' last email to the list was here:
http://lists.openbios.org/pipermail/openbios/2011-February/006275.html.
The short version is, the basic PPC64 BIOS works but if you need RTAS
then currently developer help is needed. Would this be something you'd
be willing to help with?