[OpenBIOS] [RFC] PowerPC Mac OS on Qemu

William Hahne will07c5 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 21:46:35 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am a Google Summer of Code student working on getting PowerPC Mac OS
running on Qemu. While I am not finished I need to upstream what I currently
have before the end of Summer of Code. My patch is for OpenBIOS but I am
cross-posting to both Qemu and OpenBIOS mailing lists since it is useful to
get feedback from both.

One part of the patch I am particularly concerned about is the patch to
arch/ppc/qemu/init.c to provide a CPU and Timebase frequency. Qemu doesn't
report a CPU frequency and the reported Timebase frequency is too high and
causes the Mac OS scheduler to break. I hard-coded values that work but this
seems like an unacceptable long-term solution to me. A simple test for CPU
frequency might be the best solution here but seems a little redundant as
Mac OS later runs its own test, seemingly only relying on these values
during initialization (I am not 100% sure of this since it crashes before
reaching that point.) Feedback here would be especially appreciated.

Another thing to note is in drivers/adb_kbd.c. "get-key-map" which returns a
map of the current pressed keys on the keyboard just returns a dummy value.
I felt it was a waste of time making a full implementation when all it
really gets you is the ability to use keyboard shortcuts for verbose or
single user mode.

Other than those specific concerns I welcome general feedback on the patch,
since as I said I am hoping to get it in before the end of Summer of Code.

Thanks,
William Hahne