[OpenBIOS] [Qemu-devel] OpenBSD/macppc and sparc64 failing to boot with similar error.

Brad brad at comstyle.com
Wed Aug 3 05:02:27 CEST 2011

On 01/08/11 5:35 PM, Blue Swirl wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Brad<brad at comstyle.com>  wrote:
>> I know sparc64 had little chance of actually working but
>> I thought I'd take it for a spin with 0.15.0-rc1 and
>> see how it fared in addition to macppc which has a good
>> chance of working nowdays with modern QEMU. Lets see
>> what QEMU and related bugs are left..
>>
>> I noticed the bootblocks for each respective arch are
>> failing in a very similar manner. I would guess that
>> this is most likely a bug with the OpenBIOS Open Firmware
>> implementation?
>>
>> Any assistance with this? Blue?

After a little playing around I have found this is definitely
a bug in QEMU. Turning on the OpenBSD malloc S flag which is
what I run on all of my systems triggered this behavior in QEMU
and trying to narrow it down further since S is a combination
of other flags I found it was the J flag specifically that is
triggering this behavior.

 From malloc(3)..

      J       ``Junk''.  Fill some junk into the area allocated.
              Currently junk is bytes of 0xd0 when allocating; this
              is pronounced ``Duh''.  :-) Freed chunks are filled
              with 0xdf.

believed to be clean.