[OpenBIOS] OpenBios Sparc64

Tarl Neustaedter tarl-b2 at tarl.net
Fri Aug 5 20:36:31 CEST 2011

On 2011-Aug-5 14:23 , Ghitulete Razvan wrote:
> This is a wild
> guess, but is the openboot CIF influenced in any way by the processor
> state register?

Shouldn't be. It's just forth code manipulating the device tree. Doesn't
do anything exotic with the processor. On the other hand, it does need
to have the client interface initialized, which happens automatically
during startup. If you're somehow bypassing that, you'd expect to have
trouble.

>       Also as a last option, do you know how i could get hold of a
> binary for 3.13.1 so i can disassemble it and inspect the code easier
> as i find it pretty difficult using the dis command over and over.

heh. I certainly can't send you one, Oracle is much more retentive on
exporting code than Sun ever was.

However, if you have hardware, you've got the binary. My recollection is
that older versions of Solaris (pre Solaris-10) just leave the prom
mapped in kernel space, starting at 0xf020.0000 . If not, you'll have to
figure out how to use /dev/physmem to map in the prom so you can dump it
out.

Another possibility is the version of Openboot that was opensourced by
Sun several years ago - 4.21, I think. See:

http://openboot.sourceforge.net/