[OpenBIOS] Solaris anyone?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 21:16:09 CEST 2011

On 25/04/11 19:58, Nick Couchman wrote:

> SSH and NFS are working.  I'm going to try to test out one of the
> applications - an ADA debugger - that we routinely run on the
> Solaris/Sparc platform to see how that works.

Fantastic - that sounds really promising!

> Also, just a note - graphical console does not want to start, so I have
> to start with the -nographic option to boot correctly.  This is fine,
> except that it pretty much precludes running qemu in the background,
> unless someone wants to give me a hint or two on a background-friendly
> method of running that doesn't cause the Solaris instance to lock-up.
> VNC did not work so well.  Maybe there's something I could add to the
> boot prompt to force Solaris into a serial/text-only mode?

In terms of graphics, there is definitely some work that needs to be
done. For example, if I try and run the Solaris installer from the VNC
viewer then rather than launching the installer it outputs "Starting
OpenWindows" and then freezes. Then again, this is not something that is
really on my priority list (as my aim was to virtualise a headless
server) so it's unlikely to happen in the short term.

For running QEMU in this way, have you seen Artyom's post here?
http://tyom.blogspot.com/2010/04/ultimate-way-of-starting-qemu-under.html.

> Did the serial port patch ever get checked off and pushed to SVN?

No, not yet. Once Blue has approved both patches then I'll send them up
to the SVN repository.