[OpenBIOS] Solaris anyone?

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Sat Apr 23 20:08:33 CEST 2011

On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 14:55 +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> On 22/04/11 20:58, Nick Couchman wrote:
>
> > Thanks, again, Mark - this is fantastic!
> >
> > After booting the install successfully from the Solaris ISO/CDROM and
> > getting through the initial configuration (on both Solaris 8 and 9), the
> > install fails trying to label the hard drive.  First, I see the
> > following during the installer boot:
> >
> > WARNING: /iommu at 0,10000000/sbus at 0,10001000/espdma at 5,8400000/esp at 5,8800000/sd at 0,0 (sd0):
> > 	corrupt label - wrong magic number
> >

> > Then, after doing the system identification, I get the following:
> >
> >          One or more disks are found, but one of the
> >          following problems exists:
> >
> >           >  Hardware failure
> >
> >           >  Unformatted disk.
> >
> > At which point I get dropped to a shell.  If I try to use the format
> > command from the shell, format cannot auto-configure the disk.  Even if
> > I try manually setting C/H/S parameters (either at qemu run time or in
> > the format command), it does not seem to want to use the disk.  This
> > seems to happen whether I'm using an LVM volume or a file-based disk.
> > Also, seems as though all changes are lost on the disk when I exit
> > format and then immediately go back in.
> >
> > Ideas?  Any further help/input/debugging I could provide?
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> Thanks again for testing this. The issue with Solaris not detecting the
> disks is a known one - the following guide should point you in the right
> direction:
>
> http://virtuallyfun.blogspot.com/2010/10/formatting-disks-for-solaris.html
>
> Also don't forget the "set scsi_options" part from Artyom's SPARC/QEMU
> howto here: http://tyom.blogspot.com/2009/12/solaris-under-qemu-how-to.html
>
> I think it may actually be possible to come up with a patch for OpenBIOS
> so that the scsi_options change isn't required - let me know how you get
> on with the above links, and if it all seems to work I'll look at
> creating the patch for you.

Got a little further, but eventually ran into this when the Solaris
installer tried to partition the formatted and labeled disk:

Preparing system for Solaris install

Configuring disk (c0t0d0)
        - Creating Solaris disk label (VTOC)

Creating and checking UFS file systems
        - Creating / (c0t0d0s0)

ERROR: File system creation failed for / (c0t0d0s0)

ERROR: Could not check or create system critical file systems

ERROR: Could not update disks with new configuration

Could not update disks with new configuration

I'm not sure if I need to do the partitioning with the format command
ahead of time??

Thanks,
Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.