[OpenBIOS] PReP PowerPC "emulation"

Andreas Färber andreas.faerber at web.de
Fri Sep 17 22:45:01 CEST 2010

Am 17.09.2010 um 19:43 schrieb Blue Swirl:

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Artyom Tarasenko
> <atar4qemu at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> 2010/9/17 Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber at web.de>:
>>> I don't spot anything particularly wrong in there, except that OHW
>>> no longer
>>> exists and its URLs are dead.
>>
>> Actually the URL was already dead more than one year ago, when I
>> checked it last. I could find virtually no information about this
>> project. What was the story behind OHW? Did it have problems with the
>> license? Was it developed on top of a proprietary firmware (the word
>> "hackware" sort of suggests it)? Did it have any features OpenBIOS
>> doesn't have?
[snip]
> Here's one place I found with source:
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/openhackware/openhackware_0.4.1.orig.tar.gz

 From my view that was the main problem. There was no public
repository, just one or two source tarballs, and in QEMU there were
binary blobs of which no updated source code was provided to improve/
debug what was going wrong (CD boot at the time).

Speaking of which, http://wiki.qemu.org/Download should probably
provide a link to some source tarball as long as ppc_rom.bin is around.

Would anyone be interested in having OHW archived on repo.or.cz, as
done for kqemu? I personally only have a v0.4.1 around though, like
the above.

Andreas