[OpenBIOS] PReP PowerPC "emulation"

Massimo Montecchi massimo.montecchi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 14:50:52 CEST 2010

So why the QEMU documentation states in this way ?

Use the executable ‘qemu-system-ppc’ to simulate a complete PREP or PowerMac
PowerPC system.

QEMU emulates the following PowerMac peripherals:

   - - UniNorth or Grackle PCI Bridge
   - - PCI VGA compatible card with VESA Bochs Extensions
   - - 2 PMAC IDE interfaces with hard disk and CD-ROM support
   - - NE2000 PCI adapters
   - - Non Volatile RAM
   - - VIA-CUDA with ADB keyboard and mouse.

QEMU emulates the following PREP peripherals:

   - - PCI Bridge
   - - PCI VGA compatible card with VESA Bochs Extensions
   - - 2 IDE interfaces with hard disk and CD-ROM support
   - - Floppy disk
   - - NE2000 network adapters
   - - Serial port
   - - PREP Non Volatile RAM
   - - PC compatible keyboard and mouse.

QEMU uses the Open Hack’Ware Open Firmware Compatible BIOS available at
http://perso.magic.fr/l_indien/OpenHackWare/index.htm.

Since version 0.9.1, QEMU uses OpenBIOS http://www.openbios.org/ for the
g3beige and mac99 PowerMac machines. OpenBIOS is a free (GPL v2) portable
firmware implementation. The goal is to implement a 100% IEEE 1275-1994
(referred to as Open Firmware) compliant firmware.

The following options are specific to the PowerPC emulation:
‘-g WxH[xDEPTH]’

Set the initial VGA graphic mode. The default is 800x600x15.
‘-prom-env string’

Set OpenBIOS variables in NVRAM, for example:

qemu-system-ppc -prom-env 'auto-boot?=false' \
 -prom-env 'boot-device=hd:2,\yaboot' \
 -prom-env 'boot-args=conf=hd:2,\yaboot.conf'

These variables are not used by Open Hack’Ware.

More information is available at http://perso.magic.fr/l_indien/qemu-ppc/.

Thanks, sorry and ciao

--
Cordiali Saluti/Best Regards