[OpenBIOS] PReP PowerPC "emulation"

Andreas Färber andreas.faerber at web.de
Wed Sep 15 21:18:17 CEST 2010

Massimo,

Am 15.09.2010 um 20:06 schrieb Massimo Montecchi:

> can you suggest me where to find the code for "PReP"?
> AIX needs PReP emulation to works!!!!!

I was serious when I suggested you could *contribute* PReP support to
OpenBIOS!

Currently only the g3beige and mac99 machines are somewhat supported.
QEMU did not use OpenBIOS for ppc before, so the QEMU-specific ppc
parts are still quite new and there will not be much code for PReP
yet. Part of the problem was that the Linux kernel dropped support for
PReP machines, so I am less certain whether PReP emulation is the only
way to run AIX in QEMU. Maybe some new non-PReP machine with a
hardware configuration different from Macs would do, too?

For PReP you will definitely need to patch QEMU's hw/ppc_prep.c code
to properly load the openbios-ppc file (fixing the current error
message), and OpenBIOS must probably react to the machine type in,
e.g., arch/ppc/qemu/init.c and behave differently from New World Macs
where necessary (cf. ARCH_PREP).

Ciao,
Andreas

P.S. Please avoid top-posting as it makes reading and answering more
difficult. Thanks.