[OpenBIOS] SOLVED: the mystery of Solaris on SPARC32 and the missing Forth arguments

Blue Swirl blauwirbel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 21:33:52 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:
> Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>
>>> While back I was asking how totavail and totmap are supposed to work
>>> and why did OpenBIOS
>>> decrease the totmap. Now you've explained it. :-).
>>
>> Really? I've explained it, but I haven't yet quite understood it ;)
>
> Just to add to this, in particular the questions I am trying to solve now
> are:
>
> 1) Are the memory properties physical or virtual? (totphys and totavail
> appear to be physical, where as totmap appears to be virtual?)

I think that's right. We don't update totavail, which is a linked list
of all virtual memory zones available. So map_pages should add an
entry to the list.

> 2) Should the relevant properties in the /memory and /virtual-memory nodes
> in the device tree be updated at the same time? (I think yes, as removing
> the properties causes boot to fail even on SPARC32).

Probably and /virtual-memory nodes should have the same information as
totavail list.

Great job, anyway!