[OpenBIOS] SOLVED: the mystery of Solaris on SPARC32 and the missing Forth arguments

Blue Swirl blauwirbel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 21:14:16 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:
> Blue Swirl wrote:
>
>>> Ah okay - so swap retl with plain ret? And can I just use %sp like the
>>> SPARC64 version?
>>
>> Yes. If you add 'save' and 'restore', then %sp can be used.
>
> Okay - perhaps I'm missing something more fundamental here. The attached
> patch creates a simple handler that does nothing except flush windows to the
> stack and then call the C function - but it still seems to corrupt the stack
> somehow as subsequent calls into OBP have the wrong parameters.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that this simple example fails because of
> something related to the return address, but I'm not 100% sure.

'call' instruction writes the return address to %o7, clobbering
previous %o7 from the OS. That's why 'save' and 'restore' are needed.

In this case, alternatively changing just 'call' to 'jmp' and deleting
the rest should also work.

> Also what
> are the rules about how much information you can push onto the stack of the
> previous frame, i.e. the frame pointer? My current thoughts are that I can
> either i) push arguments onto the %fp and not save into a new window or ii)
> push arguments onto the %sp after a save (in which case I need additional
> code to copy the i registers into the o registers before calling the C
> function). Does this sound correct?

I'd go for ii) or 'jmp'.