[OpenBIOS] [commit] r969 - in trunk/openbios-devel/arch: ppc/qemu ppc64/qemu

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 21:41:48 CET 2010

Andreas Färber wrote:

> No, not yet. I did some of the cleanups I announced first and ppc64 is
> not in a booting state yet. It hangs after "Trying cd:,\\:tbxi".
> Right now I'm trying to figure out why Blue is having troubles compiling.
>
> I've also been investigating why Haiku hangs again.
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/6071#comment:3
> It hangs while setting up the segment registers (mtsrin).

Hmmm that's probably going to require more PPC-fu than I have.

> I noticed that Haiku uses the set-callback ciface method shortly before,
> but it appears that we only save the callback-function in
> forth/system/ciface.fs and - according to grep - never use it elsewhere.
> Shouldn't every ofmem function check if we have a non-zero
> callback-function (how? Cf. below) and then call that instead?
>
> variable callback-function
>
> : set-callback ( newfunc -- oldfunc )
>   callback-function @
>   swap
>   callback-function !
> ;

AIUI the callback function provides a way for open firmware to call a
function within the client image, e.g. allow a Forth function to invoke
a "named" C function within the kernel image. I don't believe it is
related to OFMEM at all.

> For AIX I'm looking into the machine support:
> I noticed there's provisions for the PReP machine but that errors out in
> QEMU so I couldn't test. I'm pretty sure that enabling AAPL stuff on
> PReP would be wrong though (is_apple() == 1). Also, a new IBM PReP
> machine may get contributed to QEMU, requiring adjustments in OpenBIOS.
> To emulate an IBM CHRP machine I need to fix ofmem and PCI code to
> handle 64-bit addresses.
>
> Once that is done I'll probably get back to my RTAS investigations for AIX.
>
> So, quite a long list ahead still. Which is why I'm a little impatient
> to get the next obvious bugs fixed while avoiding bikeshed discussions
> about possible cleanups. ;)

Yes, I remember experiencing similar things with SPARC where 1 TODO item
  would end up becoming 3-4 TODO items as I found more dependent bugs :)