[OpenBIOS] Reducing OpenBIOS memory footprint

Andreas Färber andreas.faerber at web.de
Sun Nov 28 15:01:05 CET 2010

Hi Mark,

Am 21.11.2010 um 22:33 schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:

> It's taken me a lot longer to get to grips with moving SPARC32 to
> OFMEM than expected, mostly due to problems with the increased BSS
> size of the resulting image causing several large headaches.

Not reading any replies to this yet, maybe you could explain the
problem in more detail for those of us not as familiar with it? 256K
sound like peanuts compared to ~128M default RAM size for SS-5. ;)

Until recently ppc memory layout didn't scale with RAM size either, so
that I had to reorganize the ppc ofmem code.
So what exactly is stored in BSS on sparc32, and can't it be moved to
memory below/above OpenBIOS itself if you remember to claim that memory?

Regards,
Andreas