[OpenBIOS] [RFC] Switch OFMEM to use phys_addr_t for physical addresses

Andreas Färber andreas.faerber at web.de
Sun Nov 7 14:46:31 CET 2010

Am 07.11.2010 um 14:30 schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:

> Andreas Färber wrote:
>
>>> Ah good spot - would FMT_phys_addr_t be a suitable name for this?
>>> I'll make the defaults for SPARC64 and PPC the same as those for
>>> ucell.
>> Judging by include/arch/ppc/types.h I'd prefer FMT_physaddrt
>> (without the trailing _t that makes it look like a type itself).
>> QEMU has TARGET_FMT_plx, so we might use FMT_plx (physical long
>> hexadecimal?).
>
> (Looks like our previous emails have crossed)

Yeah, again!

> I can see the argument for renaming the FMT argument to avoid
> confusion with proper types, but

> introducing TARGET_FMT_plx seems a little excessive.

That's why I suggested FMT_plx without the TARGET_ prefix...

> I'm merely sticking with the existing OpenBIOS convention rather
> than attempting to change it within the scope of this patch :)

...and it's not a change but a new definition. Blue was asking for
name reuse from QEMU when I introduced the type, and Alex was recently
asking for name reuse from Linux. Don't know about the latter.

>> Would be nice to have their introduction in a separate, preceding
>> patch.
>
> I really can't get too excited about this as I don't see what
> benefit it would have over a single commit to implement the type
> change in this case.

Logically, it is simply an addition to my r932 and has nothing to do
with ofmem.

Practically, if something breaks during/after the ofmem migration it
is better for bisecting and possible reverting with tools like git-
revert to leave separate things separate.

I'd be volunteering to supply a patch, after all I'm to blame for
introducing phys_addr_t. ;)

Andreas