[OpenBIOS] /packages/disk-label, /packages/sun-parts and /packages/misc-files

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed May 26 14:57:19 CEST 2010

Hi folks,

Is there some kind of specification for the above packages or are we
free to design the interface as we choose? The reason I ask is that the
current interposition order doesn't seem to be particularly logical. At
the moment, the order goes like this for a CDROM:

cdrom -> deblocker -> disk-label -> (misc-files or sun-parts or pc-parts)

But I think it makes more sense to do this:

cdrom -> deblocker -> disk-label -> (sun-parts or pc-parts) -> misc-files

The reason for suggesting a change is because by placing misc-files
directly after disk-label, all partition offsets have to be bubbled back
up the chain using a series of get-info words to the device. If this
could be reordered, it should be possible to remove most of this logic
and simply pass the read/seeks back up to the parent.

Otherwise, like at the moment, there is lots of code in misc-files that
has to work out whether you are accessing a file or a partition directly
and act differently which can't be a good thing.