[OpenBIOS] Haiku/ppc progress - ofmem_claim misbehavior?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue May 25 14:47:35 CEST 2010

Igor Kovalenko wrote:

> Right. For sparc64 we copy mappings from hardware tables set up by asm
> bootstrap code using a walk over hardware translations. Most of
> bootstrap mappings are locked into tlb so we do not really need to
> handle translations for them. Instead we use bootstrap mappings to
> keep client from allocating memory in those spaces.
> For other architectures I think we can do the same in arch-specific
> way (probably walk code can be reused?)

Yeah. One of the frustrations I have found (resulting in the recent
cleanup) was that each arch was taken from a set of core routines and
then customised in order to make it boot. Sadly this has resulted in
fixes being fragmented across the code base and a lot of
very-similar-but-not-quite code duplication :(

I would say that looking to the future, we should focus on enhancing and
defining the arch-specific APIs and make the changes benefit everyone
rather than just one specific arch.