[OpenBIOS] [commit] r768 - in trunk/openbios-devel: arch/sparc64 drivers

Tarl Neustaedter tarl-b2 at tarl.net
Sun May 2 22:58:54 CEST 2010

On 2010-5-2 4:20 PM, Igor Kovalenko wrote:
> [...]
> This reminds me to ask a question if we have to encode all properties
> as 32bit integers.

By tradition, yes - the assumption is that you write bindings for all
implementations, not just for your particular implementation, so you
can't assume the implementation has 64-bit cells. Also, if you look at
the 1275 standard for "encode-int" (page 140 or so), it states
specifically that it produces a string of /four/ bytes, with high-order
byte being first in order (i.e., big-endian ordering).

> At the moment there are a few places which encode cells (64bit on
> sparc64) to properties.
> F.e. it breaks linux kernel code which expects framebuffer properties
> to be 32bit whereas init_video will encode 64bit values.

If they are encoding ints (with encode-int), they *must* be 32-bit
items. If they are encoding byte-arrays, they can do anything.