[OpenBIOS] input length

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 16:29:58 CET 2010

Artyom Tarasenko wrote:

Hi Artyom,

> Meanwhile qemu-system-sparc is good enough to boot most Solaris
> versions with OBP.
> ( http://tyom.blogspot.com/2009/12/solaris-under-qemu-how-to.html )

Great to have you working on OpenBIOS - the story on your blog of
getting Solaris to boot with OBP has been really fascinating.

> I'm trying to find out what is missing in OpenBIOS to do the same.
> Currently the boot just hangs.
> I did a wild guess:
> $ strings sun4m/ufsboot
>  ['] find-device catch if 2drop true else current-device device-end then swap l!
>
> It looks like all the keywords are known to the OpenBIOS, but I can't
> input the test string:
> " /options" ['] find-device catch if 2drop true else current-device
> device-end then swap l!
>
> it is longer than 80 characters, and OpenBIOS lets me enter only the
> part of the string up to "device-end t".

You should be able to split the above test string at any whitespace
character, since the Forth engine handles the switch between word
interpreting/compiling automatically. All whitespace, including CRs/LFs
is generally ignored.

> The questions are:
>  - is it just an interactive command line limitation, or an api limitation?

I suspect just an interactive command limitation.

>  - where is it defined?  I couldn't find anything useful with grep -r 80 .

Possibly you can find the answer in libopenbios/console_common.c?

>  - is there a forth debugger in OpenBIOS?

Yes indeed. See Documentation/README.debugger for a quick overview.

HTH,