[OpenBIOS] Multiple APIs for ELF file handling

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 16:20:34 CET 2010

Andreas Färber wrote:

>> my SPARC64 Milax ISO test now crashes [...]. However, [...] part of me
>> feels I should commit what I've got so that other people can get
>> eyeballs on this and help out.
>
> Please don't commit known-bad refactoring steps, that's really bad for
> bisecting.
> If you want more review, consider pushing a Git branch somewhere. Note
> that most patches sent to this list are not git-am'able so need special
> care when applying, like manually undoing quoted-printable...

Thanks for the response Andreas.

I'm very happy that the patch is the way forward given the current
diversity within the OpenBIOS codebase. I'm just nervous that a longer
timeframe means that other patches will causing merge difficulties in
the future for what is already quite a large patch (see attachment with
my last email).

I think the best that I can do so far is to commit when it passes my
tests which are primarily on SPARC64. In terms of other platforms, I've
asked more than once how I can test them before commit but no-one has
offered any responses. Then again, as a result of the new refactoring I
would expect fixes to be a lot simpler.

Maybe it would make more sense for OpenBIOS to move over to git for
development testing - but then again, commits of this size will
undoubtedly be quite rare. What does everyone else think?