[OpenBIOS] [commit] r805 - in trunk/openbios-devel: arch/ppc/qemu arch/sparc32 arch/sparc64 forth/admin

Blue Swirl blauwirbel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 17:27:40 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:58 AM, repository service <svn at openbios.org> wrote:
> Author: mcayland
> Date: Mon Jun 28 13:58:28 2010
> New Revision: 805
>
> Log:
> Fix up NVRAM settings for boot-device and boot-args.
>
> This patch originally started as a fix for PPC, in that the NVRAM initialiser wasn't been run on startup (this is why printenv
> on PPC always showed much much less than on SPARC). However, it also showed up some inconsistent logic for boot device
> selection, which must also happen *before* boot is called in order for load to work correctly. With this patch applied, bootpath
> and bootargs are set from boot-device and boot-args respectively on startup for SPARC32, SPARC64 and PPC.
>
> Note: there is a small chance SPARC32 may break on some images - please let me know if it does.

Yes, it broke Sparc32 boot from CD:
qemu-system-sparc -boot d -cdrom debian-40r4a-sparc-netinst.iso -L . -nographic
Configuration device id QEMU version 1 machine id 32
UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
CPUs: 1 x FMI,MB86904
Welcome to OpenBIOS v1.0 built on Jun 28 2010 14:18
  Type 'help' for detailed information
[sparc] Booting file 'disk' with parameters ''
Trying disk (disk)
Can't read ELF header
Can't read Linux header
Can't read a.out header
Trying disk:d (disk:d)
Can't read ELF header
Can't read Linux header
Can't read a.out header
Unsupported image format

0 >

It looks like OpenBIOS tries to boot from disk, not CD.

Could you please try to avoid committing broken patches? At the
minimum, you should test that all of Sparc32, Sparc64 and PPC still
boot.