[OpenBIOS] Bug in ESP DMA implementation?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 11:33:09 CET 2010

Blue Swirl wrote:

>> Wow that was it - forcing physical alignment (as well as virtual alignment)
>> seems to resolve the issue - thanks a lot! :)
>
> IIRC I was also very, very puzzled by this for a long time.

;)

>> After a fairly heavy hacking session I now have a version of SPARC32
>> OpenBIOS that runs under OFMEM! Initial tests show that Solaris 8 boot
>> doesn't get any further, but it's such a tremendous step forward having
>> everything using the same ofmem code (and the debugging that comes with it),
>> and means that when we fix up the various /memory and /virtual-memory
>> properties then they get fixed on ALL platforms.
>
> Great!

Yeah. This has been one of those patches that has taken a long time to
get working, and of course MMU bugs are painful to debug when they get
wrong :/  At least now all the parts are in place and it's just a case
of merging the patches.

>> I think the best thing to do will be to post 2 different patch sets - the
>> first containing the OFMEM changes, and the second for the actual conversion
>> just to make sure it doesn't cause any regressions.
>>
>> Note that for this patchset I've taken Andreas' advice and am using git for
>> the first time so please go easy on any mistakes in this area :)
>
> The line length of patch descriptions should be ~65 chars for nice git
> logs, but since the official repo is still SVN it doesn't matter.
> Otherwise I didn't spot any problems.
>
> Tip: for juggling with patch sets, I use StGit with QGit. Of course
> other tools exist and 'git rebase --interactive' is cool too.

Okay thanks. I haven't managed to define my own personal git workflow
yet, but I will be sure to have a play with various tools to see what
works/doesn't work for me.