[OpenBIOS] SPARC64: Forth re-entrancy during MMU I/D TLB miss

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 17:38:32 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

So having a poke around various bits of documentation relating to
implementing pgmap@, I've come to the realisation that since the Solaris
kernel needs to install it's own va>tte-data implementation into
OpenBIOS then it's going to be necessary to call back into Forth from
the D/I-MMU miss traps.

I've been looking around the code in arch/sparc64/switch.S but it looks
as if this code only swaps between 2 individual contexts - am I right in
thinking there needs to be a way of specifying the memory address of the
context for this code to be reusable during a trap? Or would a better
way be to duplicate this file but with another static context used only
for MMU miss traps?

Another question for PPC users: will pgmap@/pgmap! be required there
too? I'm trying to figure out if this is something that needs to live
within libopenbios/ofmem_common.c or whether it's just a SPARC-specific
hack. It looks as if these words are also required for SPARC32 so I'm
leaning towards the former...