[OpenBIOS] latest SVN doesn't boot -kernel on PPC

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 10:49:06 CEST 2010

Blue Swirl wrote:

>> Does anyone have an idea what's going on?
>
> If there is no disk, kernel will be executed. I'd suspect breakage from r828.

Yeah, that's probably right. What should happen now is that the
arch_init() function for each architecture should set up the NVRAM
variables based upon the QEMU firmware configuration and the Forth will
do the rest.

However, since the boot() function gets called before (encode-bootpath)
then this could cause an issue. My dev cycles are fairly limited at the
moment, but I think the following is the right solution:

- At the moment, only NVRAM variables are set in arch_init(). A few
lines of code need to be added to place the kernel command line (QEMU's
-append) into /chosen/bootargs

- Ensure that kernel boot only (i.e. no Forth) is attempted in any of
the arch-specific boot() functions

- Change the boot word in forth/admin/userboot.fs so that
(encode-bootpath) is called just before $load

HTH,