[OpenBIOS] OpenBIOS built in Mac OS X?

Andreas Färber andreas.faerber at web.de
Mon Nov 30 22:23:51 CET 2009

Am 30.11.2009 um 02:33 schrieb G 3:

> On Nov 29, 2009, at 6:22 PM, openbios-request at openbios.org wrote:
>
>> It's probably not an OpenBIOS build problem. I was able to execute an
>> OSX-built OpenBIOS on Linux and OpenSolaris. Executing a Linux-built
>> OpenBIOS on OSX/ppc failed. Using same GCC 4.4.2 and binutils 2.20.
>
> You were able to build OpenBIOS on Mac OS X? If so, how? Every
> attempt I made has failed. I'm using GCC 4.0.1. Could it be a
> problem with my compiler version?

You cannot build OpenBIOS with Apple's gcc 4.0.1. The 'gcc' installed
by Xcode builds Mach-O binaries, not ELF binaries. You therefore need
a cross-compiler and `./config/scripts/switcharch cross-ppc`.

I compiled the following in order, all of which were the latest stable
versions:

GMP 4.3.1 - note: on ppc64 host supply ABI=mode32 to its configure
script or it may build a 64-bit library that gcc later chokes on
MPFR 2.4.1
binutils 2.20
GCC 4.4.2

For GCC configure options please refer to Blue Swirl's post. I used --
target=powerpc-elf, but it was recently discussed whether --
target=powerpc-eabi is better or equal.

Andreas