[OpenBIOS] PPC cross-compiler defaults to 'powerpc-linux-gnu-'prefix

Blue Swirl blauwirbel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 18:29:25 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
> On 11/25/09 1:21 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>> I think the best overall solution would be to simply search for both
>> the -elf and -linux versions in switch-arch and pick the first one
>> found - does that work for everyone?
> While we're at it...  We have a similar script in coreboot, ...
> "xcompile" searches for a suitable compiler and is run by the top level
> Makefile:
>
> http://tracker.coreboot.org/trac/coreboot/browser/trunk/util/xcompile/xcompile

I think it would be best to specify the cross-prefix at config time.
Guessing may get wrong results.

> What are the general feelings towards the configuration system?
> The XML make stuff never really was an improvement over Kconfig +
> Kbuild, so we might move over to that... Lot's of people know it, it's
> easy to integrate, and it's not another layer on top of make.

QEMU has nowadays a very clean configure vs. Makefile split (thanks to
Juan Quintela). Most if not all decisions are made at configure time,
Makefiles just use the CONFIG_xxx variables as told by configure. I'd
like to use a similar setup. Though QEMU does not have a deep
subdirectory layout which OpenBIOS has, that makes things easier for
them.