[OpenBIOS] PPC cross-compiler defaults to 'powerpc-linux-gnu-'prefix

Laurent Vivier Laurent at Vivier.EU
Wed Nov 25 13:03:16 CET 2009

>Hi all,
>
>While setting up a PPC cross-compiler environment for OpenBIOS, I
>noticed that the default cross-compiler prefix is set to
>'powerpc-linux-gnu-' as opposed to 'powerpc-elf-'.
>
>Is there any particular reason that we need the linux platform version,
>instead of the elf version which is used by SPARC? The reason I ask is
>that the Linux platform version is much much harder to compile as you
>need an extra set of glibc headers and have to bootstrap the gcc build
>by hand in order to produce the working final compiler.

The only reason is because I use "powerpc-linux-gnu-gcc", but I agree it is much harder to produce. But I produce my cross-compile environment from debian packages, which seems simpler.

Do you know if there is a "powerpc-elf-gdb" ?

>On my tests here everything seems to work fine with just the
>'powerpc-elf-' prefix as far as I can tell.

If you provide a patch, I agree to apply it.

Regards,
Laurent

--
"Tout ce qui est impossible reste à accomplir"    Jules Verne