[OpenBIOS] PPC cross-compiler defaults to 'powerpc-linux-gnu-' prefix

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Nov 25 12:40:28 CET 2009

Hi all,

While setting up a PPC cross-compiler environment for OpenBIOS, I
noticed that the default cross-compiler prefix is set to
'powerpc-linux-gnu-' as opposed to 'powerpc-elf-'.

Is there any particular reason that we need the linux platform version,
instead of the elf version which is used by SPARC? The reason I ask is
that the Linux platform version is much much harder to compile as you
need an extra set of glibc headers and have to bootstrap the gcc build
by hand in order to produce the working final compiler.

On my tests here everything seems to work fine with just the
'powerpc-elf-' prefix as far as I can tell.