[OpenBIOS] Sparc64 OpenBIOS

Tarl Neustaedter Tarl.Neustaedter at Sun.COM
Tue Nov 17 16:12:00 CET 2009

[...]
> I also figured out that for some of the words to become available I have to actually execute a real boot - not sure why.

The primary booter you are reading from blocks 1-15 of the boot
partition create a bunch of words (most importantly, do-boot). It also
creates a package, probably /package/hsfs-file-system

> Here's the output from "do-boot" once I turn on debugging for Solaris Nevada B127:
>
> 0 > do-boot
> : do-boot  ( Empty )
> 00000000ffe388e8: parse-bootargs  ( Empty )
> 00000000ffe388f0: halt?  ( 0 )
> 00000000ffe388f8: do?branch  ( Empty )
> 00000000ffe38948: get-bootdev  ( Empty )
> 00000000ffe38950: load-pkg  ( Empty )
> 00000000ffe38958: mount-root
> seek failed
>
> Can't mount root
>  Aborted.
> 0 >
>
> Again, not sure why it can't mount-root, but that seems to be the issue.

Yup. The seek failed indicates it wasn't able to read something it
needed to read. So the next step is to do
the above, only instead of calling mount-root, figure out what
mount-root has in it, and execute those one-by-one at the ok prompt. Or
use the debugger to single step through it.

Somewhere in there either you are coming up with some bad disk
addresses, or the HBA driver is failing a read. The alternative would be
to debug the HBA driver and see what disk reads you are being asked to
do, and try to trace backwards.